First of all let us all talk about what is Cheat Meal
After exercising a whole week and maintaining a strict diet throughout that 6 days of your training and then we have a day off in which we do absolutely nothing that’s where cheat meal comes in.
So basically the idea of a cheat meal is to get the intake of anything which is not a part of our dieting plan. That means eating anything for a set period of time and fulfill our desire to eat our favourite food which we crave for throughout our dieting tenure.
Effects of Cheat Meal on our Body
According to some studies cheat day to boost metabolism by an increase in the production of leptin and in turn helping the body burn more calories after overeating.
But the diet-rejuvenating effect of a cheat day may amount to more than just burning a few extra calories. Restricting calories can cause a reduction in the production of leptin which is a hormone responsible for maintaining our energy balance and causing weight loss. But temporarily upping calorie intake can re-up leptin production by nearly 30 percent (for up to 24 hours)
Psychological Effects of a Cheat Meal
- A cheat meal also provides a much-needed mental break. Constantly trying to resist your cravings can be exhausting. By indulging in a meal, you’re able to relax, stop thinking about calories, and enjoy your food.
- What are the things that will make cheat meal a reward for our hard work rather than a failure
- First of all, remember it’s a cheat meal and not a cheat day so indulge in your cravings accordingly.
- Choose quality food-it is a well- known fact that cheat meals high in carbohydrates are best, as they have a bigger effect on leptin production than those higher in fats. But, don’t forget to balance everything out with some protein and healthy fats.
- Even though you’re allowed to break from your day-to-day diet, don’t use a cheat meal as an excuse to overindulge.
- Planning is the most important thing of all to start anything so the best way to cheat is to plan ahead! Remember that, while cheat meals are meal replacements, they need to fit into your current eating regimen. Cheat meals allow you to satisfy cravings and give you a chance to loosen the reigns a bit.
- The purpose of the cheat meal is to add extra calories to your current plan. Skipping meals before or after could end up limiting you cheat meal’s effectiveness and ultimately backfire on you, causing you to become overly hungry and overindulge in your cheat.
- Drinking water is an excellent way of keeping the full sensation and reducing the amount of food you eat; even on a cheat meal. Water will also help to prevent your metabolism from becoming sluggish and keep your digestive system working smoothly and efficiently.
Cheat Meal Mistakes
- Having too many cheat meals or eating too much in a cheat meal-This one is pretty self- explanatory. Many people don’t realize how many calories are in the foods they eat in their cheat meals. And many are shocked when they look it up.
- Keeping multiple cheat foods in the house
- Choosing junk food
- Going overboard with the alcohol- Well, similar to carbs, alcohol blocks fat oxidation, which in turn accelerates the rate at which dietary fat you’ve eaten is stored as body fat.
In short, it’s not the calories from alcohol that can make you fat, but all the crap that you eat with it, which is hard to resist when you’re hammered.
Also Read: What to Eat Before you Go the Gym